AFNOA REUNION DATES: 26 & 27 September and tours on 28 September 2017.
(NOTE– 2017 -AFNOA REUNION)-Completed and over 245 attended
HOST HOTEL: Holiday Inn (On the River Walk) Advertised as “Upscale hotel with an outdoor pool, hot tub & restaurant/bar for American food, plus free WiFi.”
LOCATION: 217 N St Mary’s St, San Antonio, TX 78205 Phone:(210) 224-2500
— 3 blocks from the historic Alamo — 4.5 blocks to the Rivercenter Mall — — 5 Blocks to La Villita — — 7 Blocks from the Market Square
REUNION DATES: 26, 27 & Tours/sightseeing – 28 Sept. 2017.
– Room Rate: $119.00 per day plus tax, (rate is 17.85%) and self parking ($12 per day– discounted rate will be applied one week prior to arrival) until all rooms are booked and rate may increase.
–Registration Fee: $150.00 per person if attending both evening events. Price includes hospitality room, snack food, membership meeting room, name tags, and equipment associated with the reunion PLUS two meals– buffet dinner on 26 Sept. and sit down dinner on 27 Sept. The FEE does not include the room or parking cost. MEAL INFO TO FOLLOW– if you need meal exceptions please advise when submitting application.
NOTE: Registration Forms are located in the April and July 2017 editions of Dr Ahead.
Hospitality room open (1:00 PM to 5:00 PM)
Reunion Brat Check in time (5:00 PM to 6:30 PM)
Social no host bar is open (5:00 PM to 6:30 PM)
Dinner is (6:30PM to 8:00PM) Mexican Buffet: Chicken & beef fajitas with sauteed onions and peppers, cheese enchiladas, flour tortillas, shredded cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo, borracho beans, spanish rice, seasonal garden greens with ranch or balsamic dressing
Social no host bar is open (4:30 PM to 6:00 PM)
Plated dinner is (6:00PM to 8:30PM) Choice of Petite Sirloin or sauteed boneless breast of chicken, season greens with ranch or balsamic dressing, potatoes/rice, vegy option, chefs, rolls, coffee tea and water plus New York Cherry Cheesecake with fresh strawberry sauce.
27 Sept. AFNOA Membership Meeting: 9:00 AM to approx. 10:30 AM
28 Sept. –Free Time for Sightseeing
EVENTS/TOURS: Attendees can schedule any tour they want at any time with the Hotel Lobby Desk or Concierge. You can wait until arrival in San Antonio to plan your tours when you see what others are going to do. There are many tours available but these are ones recommended by the hotel. Prices are as of Jun 2016.
- City Sightseeing Double Decker Tour. —–Tours start at 9:30AM at the hotel and a bus comes by the hotel approximately every 20 minutes. Last tour departs at 5pm. Cost is $33.00 ($31.00 for seniors) and can get a $4 discount coupon from the Hotel or parking attendant. Tour is minimum of 1 hour and LONGER if you can get off and visit a place and catch a later bus. Questions on the tour can be directed to 210-224-8687.
- San Antonio River boat tour. Tours start at 9:00am and continue until about 9:00PM. The entry point for the boat ride is about a 1 block walk from the hotel to the tour start point. The tour of the river is about 30 to 45 minutes long. Cost is $10.00 (ages 6 to 59), $8.00 if a senior and $7.00 if a senior and have a military ID. Questions on tour 800-417-4139.
- Alamo Tour. A shuttle bus ($1.00) will take people from the hotel to the Alamo. Currently trying to arrange a GROUP time for the tour. There is NO COST for the Alamo Tour except transportation.
- OTHER TOURS: GrayLine Tours (800-341-6000) and Alamo City Tours (210-492-4144. NOTE: Hill Country Tour is $84.00 for Seniors & $89.00 for adults Full Day – 9:00am – 4:30pm and does not include meals and entry fees to the Nimitz Museum.
There will be time to explore the Admiral Nimitz Museum (cost is $12.00 for seniors and $14 for adults) and Historic Center as well as the History Walk of the Pacific War and the Japanese Garden of Peace. Lunch is on your own at one of the many fine restaurants in Fredericksburg.
After lunch the tour will continue to Stonewall, Texas, where you will visit the LBJ Ranch located on the Pedernales River. Here, we’ll see the Texas “White House” and hear tall tales of one of Texas’ favorite sons, Lyndon Baines Johnson and former First Lady, Lady Bird Johnson. Come along and enjoy the culture, beauty and magic of this unique area.